Tuesday, November 15, 2011

はなちゃん、お誕生びおめでとう!(Happy Birthday Hana-chan)

On Sunday I got to visit Muto-san's real house, one kilometer away from the guest house. I'd been the driveway before but never inside the house, so I was kind of excited to see the traditional Japanese house from the inside. The reason for the visit was that it was Hana-chan's first birthday. Hana-chan is Katsu-san and his wife Hiroko-san's daughter. We had made mochi the day before with Fuma-kun and Aina-chan, the giant one being for Hana-chan to carry that night. The house was very nice. Muto-san warned me that it was old so it'd be cold, but because of the many people I think it was warm. The many people included me, Muto-san, Hiroko-san, Hiro-san, Katsu-san, Hitomi-san, Hana-chan and Muto-san's parents. Hiro and Hitomi were preparing dinner in the kitchen which was open to the living room. I was told to go and sit around the kotatsu, which is the Japanese style low table with a heater under the table. The idea is you sit and stick your legs under the table and pull the blanket that is squished between the two top layers of the table to keep the heat in...I think i've explained it before. Hiroko-san was there with Hana-chan. With the baby it is always play play, the entertainment never ceases! She was pretty good at walking around but I thought about how large the mochi is, can she do it?
We were going to eat sukiyaki. You have a pot on the little portable stove in the middle of the table and you put raw vegetables and meat into the broth and let it cook. Everyone has their own bowl and you crack a raw egg into the bowl then dip the meat/vegetables/tofu/mochi into the egg and eat! Yum:) It sounds a little strange but it is quite delicious.
Hana-chan did very well with the mochi pack! She was sitting at first, stood up with it on, walked around for a bit then sat down again. Everyone seemed very happy, so it went well! Strong little Hana-chan, she will grow only stronger!

It was nice to be in the family's house with the family. I enjoy my time with Muto-san very much, but I miss the fun and loudness of being in a family. Where everyone is always talking on top of each other and laughing together and so comfortable and in love with one another...it's such a nice feeling! It was nice to see again:)
After they cleaned up the dishes (I tried to help but wasn't so successful...) we watched a little of the Planet of the Apes, the middle one, I think. I've seen the oldest and the newest...I wasn't too impressed by what I did see, though. There was also an incredible birthday cake! A cake that Katsu and Hiro's cousin made, I believe. The cousin bakes as a hobby, but the cake was beautiful. Little and perfectly garnished with mikan slices, mint and a little cookie plaque that said happy birthday. Hiro lit the candle and Hana and Katsu blew it out after we sung happy birthday (I was laughing a little because they sung Happy birthday Japanese style, with Japanese pronunciations...I also messed up by just saying "Hana" rather than "Hana-chan"...woops!).
As a gift to Hana I wrote and painted a card and gave her a tiny robot cat I made out of clay before I came to Japan. They seemed to appreciate it, though Hana still can't read, of course, they said one day she will.
Soon Muto-san took me back to the farm house. I was happy that I got to spend time with the family and meet Muto-san's parents more officially, they are 93! That's amazing....
It was a great night and I'm very grateful they included me.

Today a new WWOOFer came to Yamaai Mura. He is Japanese and is thinking about starting his own farm so he is studying here for 2 weeks. Cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment