Thursday, November 10, 2011

Feedin' the piggies.

I had been waiting for a beautiful day so I could get nice photos when I go feed the pigs, and monday was a beauty!
Clear blue skies and the whole thing, I was very happy.
Since it had rained for a few days and been cloudy, the dirt roads that wind around to the different lots where the pigs are were muddy. Some impossible to pass through. I got out of the little truck once when it went up a steep hill, it might have not made any difference, but perhaps it did! I was nervous for Hiro because the truck was swerving around in the mud, but he does this a lot so...I didn't really need to worry. The pigs in this area were really big.
I guess I'm used to seeing the younger pigs down by the farm house, so I was a little surprised at their size. Hiro said these pigs were ready to go..sad.

Since the truck was kind of stuck we carried the bags to the little shelters at the different lots, the farthest maybe 100 meters. Each lot has a small shelter with a feed bin and water. I only carried the bags...twice I think and I was tired! Normally Katsu and Hiro would have to carry them alone, on days it rains and on days that there is snow. Who knows where the truck would get stuck. Hiro said on New Years day last year he was carrying the feed and since there was snow he slipped and fell. I'm assuming he was very upset, probably especially since it was New Years. I said on days that it snows, wouldn't it be easier if you used a sled? He said good idea! Maybe this year they'll try it...I personally think it would make it a lot easier. It's two and half bags for each bin...and the bags weighs around 18 kg each. I thought to myself, well if I helped them everyday, I would get strong really fast! My arms could use a little more muscle...weak!

Then we had to go get more feed, this time in 5 gallon buckets. We went up a different little road to reach two more lots. This road was crazy! Very uneven with big rocks so the poor truck bumped and hummed along. I thought this can't be good for the truck, I wonder how often they have to replace the tires... we carried the buckets to the shelters here too. Hiro had to walk around each lot and check the fence to make sure it was intact so while he did that, I took photos. The light was really beautiful (maybe it just seemed especially gorgeous since it was the first sunlight in few days). Happy pigs in he mud! I love watching them run around. The followed Hiro around the edge of the lot, probably just curious.

We had turned left to see if we could drive to the shelter but we got stuck in the mud so Hiro rocked the truck while I sat in the drivers seat freaking out and trying really hard to not kill the truck...it's manual so I had to do the clutch thing and I'm not good at that at all...we straightened out but were facing the wrong way. Hiro had to go backwards the whole way back, probably around...300 meters (rough estimate). Rocky, uneven, narrow road...reverse. Ah! I don't know how we didn't crash, once again, he must be used to it...and we survived!

It was a fun experience, I offered the next time it rains since normally I don't have much to do that I could help again. At least that way he wouldn't have to carry quite as mnay bags alone...we'll see.

On Sunday Muto-san took me to a gathering at his friends house, deep in the mountains, way deeper than Yamaai Mura even! It was a gathering called "Merci". Muto-san said that normally it is held outside but since it was a rainy day it was taking place in this tiny little log cabin. We went to the entrance and there in the doorway were about 50 pairs of muddy shoes. We had to take ours off then step on other people's shoes to get into the house and the house was packed! It was basically impossible to move around. There were children everywhere! Crawling, sitting and running on the floor, between people's legs, grabbing onto women's skirts- it was a little crazy. However the atmosphere was very welcoming and cozy. There were little stands inside the house where people were selling crafts, food and other items. I guess most of the people there would be considered hippies. I love their clothing! I felt a little out of place but tried to just relax and forget any insecurities. I went into a room where some people had set up products from the fair trade store. I walked around and ended up doing a little shopping...hehe.

After a little while Muto-san told me we should go upstairs, because that's where a concert was taking place. The  room was packed, but somehow I tiptoed my way to a small clear patch on the far side of the room and sat down. But more people kept coming and we kept scooting closer to the walls and everyone closer together. It was so crowded! A middle aged woman and her husband, their daughter and a guy friend were playing music.  It was kind of a mix of folk and Hawaiin music, that's an awful description, but I really liked it. It was fun music and pleasnt to listen to. I didn't understand the words really, but from what I did understand it was mostly about the earth. In the middle of the performance, the father had a speech. He talked about all kinds of things, focusing on topics of the environment, the horror of Nuclear power, finding the path of your life and living peacefully in this world, thankful for life and what the earth provides (thus, "Merci" being the name of the gathering). It was a nice talk from what I understood, but I was really sore from sitting so cramped for so long...I was glad when they started playing music again.
Soon after that we left the house and drove a little further into the mountains to his friends house, who is also a WWOOF host (the only other in the area, I believe). They are a couple and I remembered meeting them at the monthly Kikuchi Farmer's Market a little bit before. We talked for almost two hours. They showed us photos from their trip to Oregon and California (places I haven't really been to) and showed us photos of different travelors that have come here. The couple seem to be involved in a lot of volunteer activites. They volunteered to help clean Kikuchi gorge before the really busy season, and they volunteer at either a hospital or nursing home, I'm not quite sure. They seem to have very interesting lives. The house was cute, litterally nestled in the mountains, very secret.

I went to badminton again with Hiro on Monday. I took tennis shoes and shorts so I could play with Sato-san again. At first I thought she wasn't coming and I got nervous, but soon she came, saying she was late because she had to wash dishes. She hit with me for a while, and taught me something that made hitting the shuttle a lot easier! Hit the shuttle when it's in front of you, rather thatn above you. It's probably common sense, but I'm terrible so it helped me out a lot. I'll be able to go one more time. Next week!

The sun went away yesterday afternoon...it's supposed to rain this afternoon. Sigh.
It's also cold today, I guess that's how the season roll! It's getting really pretty, though, so at least I can appreciate the changing colors:)

1 comment:

  1. Seems like you're having a good time in Japan. The people you stay with also sound really nice... -Ethan

    ReplyDelete