Monday, November 28, 2011

Certainly a beautiful wedding...

Today we got up at 6:30 and were at the Hotel where the wedding would take place by 8:00. Yuka-chan and her husband, Mamoru-san had stayed at the hotel the night before because their preparation started very early - especially Yuka. Hiroko-obachan went to the salon there in the hotel and they did her hair in curls and sparkly pins and helped her with her kimono - the black one with the family crest and gold thread embroidery. I think Hiroko-obachan is a very beautiful woman, but it's always stunning to see when someone dresses up. I felt simple in my little blue flats, simple white and black dress, hardly any makeup and my hair plain and down. The thing is...without Gena and Mom, I can't dress up very easily. Gena always does my makeup and Mom and Gena take turns doing my hair - without them I have to keep it VERY simple... haha, so helpless! We waited around and soon the family members gathered. Yuka's family members gathered in one room while Mamoru-san's gathered in the next door room, separated by a curtain. Aya-chan, the cousin I went shopping with, was wearing her kimono as well. It was beautiful and blue with shiny sparkling thread and a pattern of flowers in the wind. Since she is unmarried, it still had the long sleeves which was fun to see. However, she said she was going to cut them soon to the shorter length.

 When Yuka came, I was stunned. She was dressed in the white kimono with white cloth/hat covering her head. Only her lips were red. Yuka is very small and slender and the kimono looked so thick around her! She said it was very heavy, it sure looked it. But it was stunning. A white wedding dress is one thing, but this kimono was something extraordinary to see...
When things had settled down and all the family had arrived the woman who was leading everyone through the wedding came and opened the curtain between the rooms. The two families were sitting facing one another. The father's of the couple introduced everyone in their family. There were around 20 people per family who were there. I realized a little too late that maybe I should have stayed outside for this portion of the ceremony as well, but it was fine and I was introduced as the friend from America:)

After that the family portion of the wedding began: the family photo and the actual ceremony. I was to join with all the other guests after the ceremony for the reception where I'd be able to sit with the family rather than at a friends table, which made me very happy. Three of Yuka's cousins were also waiting outside while the ceremony was happening. I'm too shy, I realize, because it took a while before one them came up to me and asked where I was from and so we talked for a little while. We were the same age and one cousin was one year younger, I thought they were much older! I think they thought the same about me because they surprised when i said I was 18. Soon everyone came out and Yuka and Mamoru stood with their parents and greeted everyone as they entered the Reception banquet room. Mamoru-san seems like a really nice man. I know he must be wonderful since Yuka-chan is marrying him! I'm glad that they are happy together :)

The room was pretty big and filled with round tables with pretty gold utensils, flowers, appetizers and name stands. I got to sit at a table with Keiichan, Hiroko-obachan, Shin-chan and Keiichan's parents. His mother makes THE BEST umeboshi! I told her so and she seemed happy.

Soon Yuka and Mamoru-san came in with the Japanese style parasol. Yuka was in a new kimono already! With new hair ornaments and everything. They walked past our tables and to the front of the room where they were led to their seats, facing the room and all the guests. Then the waitresses and waiters poured champagne and soda into the glasses and we said kampai! before sitting down and relaxing. There were a couple videos that played, one was a profile, saying this is Yuka and this Mamoru and this is what schools they went to, their dreams and of course, their blood type. I don't even know my blood type but that's a big deal here...

As things calmed down, the food was brought out. Sashimi, a little filet mignon, a creamy scallop dish, chawamushi, stick rice and more! It was brought out one right after the other throughout the whole ceremony. Hiroko-obachan, Keiichan and a little bit Shin-chan had to go around to the tables and thank the guests and pour beer into their glasses, for you are not supposed to pour your own. So constantly people come and fill the glasses of others. Hospitality. But because they had to go around and around, they didn't really eat. However, I sat and only took photos so I got to eat just about everything! Towards the end of the wedding, though, there was the cake and the candle lighting ceremony so I didn't get to eat too much dessert. I would regret so much if I gave up a fantastic filming or photo option for even such things as strawberries and chocolate fondue!

The cutting of the cake was my favorite. Yuka was dressed in a brilliant white dress with gloves and flowers in her hair. Mamoru-san had changed into a tuxedo, but a unique one with white stitching along the edges. He didn't have the katanas anymore. They cut the cake together, posing for people to take photos for they were surrounded by a wall of cameras and people. Hiroko-obachan and Keiichan said they didn't even know what the cake looked like or what had happened because they couldn't see past the wall of guests! I was a part of that wall so I filmed the whole thing. Yuka's facial expression look a little pained and she winced at the hundreds of cameras flashing away. But soon the actually cut it and a man handed Mamoru-san a tiny little spoon and a plate and he delicately got a bite of the cake onto the spoon and very nicely fed it to Yuka-chan. It was very sweet.
Then they took the little spoon and plate away and handed Yuka a plate and then a giant wooden cooking spoon! She held it up to show everyone and you could see Mamoru-san's face turn into an "oh no" expression. He started stretching is jaw in preparation. Yuka gathered a fair bit of cake on the spoon, like a hole piece. She let him take a bite (he could only fit about half of it in one bite) then she pressed the remainder playfully into his mouth. He had a white icing beard after that! But she was given a cloth and he wiped it away moments later, how nice! But it was such a playful and happy moment, made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside! Even though you see everyone do it, it's different when you see it in person with people you know.

The whole wedding was incredible! The lights, the music, the dresses, the hair, the family and friends, the traditions, the food! All together it was quite the experience. The best way to see it is here: Wedding Photos!

I'm sure everyone does it, but it made me think of how one day I will get married and how Gena and Karen will get married and maybe even Elijah will get married too :p (joke! I know he will, the handsome boy he is...) And on those days I will be in Shin-chan's shoes. And maybe one day I can be in Hiroko-obachan's shoes and watch my daughter marry someone wonderful. And maybe if I am lucky, I can be in Hiroko-obachan's mom's shoes, and watch my granddaughter get married! But that is all a little to far away to think about. There is so much time in between still that I don't know what will happen... Still early, but, I can't wait to have a family! I think a wedding would be a little embarrassing and very stressful... but with all the makeup and dresses they have nowadays, people can make even ME beautiful... I think:)

Yuka and Mamoru leave for Bali tomorrow for their Honeymoon. I hope they have a lot of fun and after that, have a very wonderful and happy life together. I think they will. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment