Thursday, September 29, 2011

9.29.11

My! it has been a little while since I have written, and I apologize in advance for the many typos i know i will have since I dont have much time and I have so much to write!

So I have been all over with Mom and Michael. We stayed for a week in Osaka with mom's friend and her husband. From there we visited several different cities. It is so easy to travel in Japan because of the amazing public transportation. Trains and buses rule here! Therefore we visited Nara by train and got to see the amazing Todaiji Temple. I have been there before, and it was equally impressive if not more this time. In the area, deer roam freely and there are stands that sell thin crackers for the deer to eat. It was very crowded but the massive gates that lead us to the temple make us look small and people are unimportant once you see the Buddha. It is so impressive with such detail and beauty. The guards stand on either side and they look very fierce. There is a hole cut in one of the giant support columns that is the size of the Buddhas nostril, and there is a 100ft line where people stand so they can try to crawl through the hole. Mostly it is for small children and the insanely thin Japanese women (which is most of them!) We walked about in the various shrines and other buildings before visiting the Museum there and feasting on Udon sold there in the park. Since I was still jet lagged, I was exhausted by all the walking. It is also hot and humid.
I feel guilty in the crowded trains if I have to hold onto a handle hanging from the bar on the ceiling, because I must lift my arm and be...stinky:(

The next day we went to the Burial site of the 16th emperor. It is the largest mound in the world. We walked around it for about 40 minutes then went to a museum about different findings around the tomb. It was interesting to see ancient Japanese artifacts. There was a model of the tomb, and it large and grey with cylindrical pieces stinking out that were red on the flat ends. Oddly modern looking.
Following the museum we visited a tea house where there was "traditional" tea ceremony. They served us little chunks of sugar that were supposed to balance the bitter taste of the tea. Keiko's bowl was black in the inside and I couldn't help but to think about the book Thousand Cranes we read in English class and how the main character had talked about the powdery tea residue reminding him of spring against the black inside of the bowl. Beautiful. Then we went to bicycle museum, that had all different bikes from the oldest to newest and the strangest. There were even the bikes of famous bike race winners and their jerseys. It was interesting to see the variety and evolution. Michael really enjoyed it, maybe he will make changes to his own bike after what he has seen! Who knows!

The next day we relaxed a lot more. I got to go shopping a little (YES!) and bought a couple things at UNIQLO, my favorite store! I aslo couldn't resist this adorable sweater at  a little store and picked that up too...
Then we went to visit Keiko's friend who is a glass artist. We weren't expecting it, but she invited us to make glass beads. I have never seen it done and definitely never had the chance to do it myself. I'm not one who likes fire and it was a little frightening at first, but it was fine and I made five. Three plain yellow and two base turquois with different patterns. It was fun, but I don't think I'd be able to stand it for very long...it wreck my nerves! Then she started giving us gifts. It was ridiculous! She was so generous. She gave us women each a necklace then two glass dragons,  cookies, Kaki (persimon) pudding and offered us tea and cake to eat there on the spot. It was so kind of her. Japanese people are so hospitable...it seems to over the top! But she was a very wonderful person. Keiko described her has "loud but with a kind heart". Here Japanese women are so gentle and soft spoken, it was a refreshing to hear her stern voice.
Mom and Michael then parted ways and went to meet Mr. Nakamura, president Takiya, which makes items for Art Museums. I stayed back with Keiko and Seibinsan. I went with them to see a new house that they might buy (they decided to move in!) and then we went to the super market and I got Apple juice (since it is the best here in Japan) and Keiko bought yakitori, which is differnt parts of the chicken on a stick and barbaqued. Later I found out the different parts happened to be...heart, liver, skin and cartiledge. It was good...but I prefer the "normal" chicken parts.

I have a lot more to write but I will wait since I will have internet access for a few more days.
Tomorrow I will write about the other places I went!

I hope everyone is fine in America:)

4 comments:

  1. Hey, you should also come up with fun titles for your posts :P The date is already set at the top of each post by default.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read it! Sounds like fun. I think the one reason I would go to Japan would be the food. Have you gone to a rotating sushi bar yet? I saw one in an episode of Nodame Cantabile. Seems like it would be fun!

    Do you know how to change the number of posts that appear on your front page? It's hard to follow you when there are a bajillion posts to go through. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, your blog looks AWESOME now! You should find out what size the photo is that you're using right now, because it fits the header nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sharing this with Eiskamp 先生, she'll be so proud! Keep up the writing!
    Mrs.Miller

    ReplyDelete