Friday, October 14, 2011

雨の日 (rainy day)

It wasn't raining in the morning but I was getting ready for it because there was that hushed feeling all around me. I didn't put my laundry on the line outside or open the door in my room too much, just in case the rain might blow in. 

I got up at 8 as usual and was slightly concerned when Muto-san wasn't up. I did normal morning things and it was almost 9 before I heard him moving around but I'd already decided to feed the chickens so off I went. 
The chickens make me feel like I'm very special, they are always so happy to see me!

When I returned Muto-san said he was sorry that he got up late but we needed to leave to go pick up new pigs from another pig farm. No breakfast! ah! surprisingly I haven't been that hungry...most likely because I've been eating crazy huge and heavy meals and not doing a lot...
So we got in the big truck and drove off. It was probably a 20 minute drive, maybe 30. The first half was on winding mountain roads before we got into an urban area. And soon we turned off the main road and went to the pig farm. This is where the pigs have nothing but a stall to themselves and a machine that dumps food before them. 

Muto-san pointed over to a truck coming towards us with pigs in the back, he said, "Those pigs are lucky ones." And yes they are, the come to Yamaaimura farm and become hashi buta (running pigs). There are 15 pigs in each fenced in area, and each fenced in area is...ah....30 by 30 meters roughly? Which is a lot of space compared to the big huge farms with tiny stalls...sad. The pigs looked like they had been whipped or something...scraped up a little...I felt bad. I pigs squeal is a truly terrible sound...when I hear it, it sends shivers all through my body and I wish I could block it out...

So with 15 pigs in the back of the truck we went started back to home, though a lot slower. We stopped though at a place called Harai to buy food. It was kind of buffet style because you can put whatever you want into plastic containers and they weigh it at the counter. So we got this one fish dish (fried fish soaked in vinegar with vegetables), squid, what looked like sweet and sour shrimp and fried chicken! whoa! Then at noon we finally had our first meal, yum. By then, though, it was raining pretty hard and didn't stop until about an hour ago...it's 11 pm. So after we ate we just relaxed. Watched tv, listened to music. I showed him the movies I'd made of the bike trip and the Appalachian trail and the youtube video of Chelsea Cross and the Rhythm Ryders performing STARSTRUCK by Lady Gaga! haha...he was amused I think.

So it was a rainy and very lazy day. Muto-san went to take a nap at some point in the afternoon and Hitomi (his wife) came in while I was watching a Japanese movie called "Always" based on manga. It takes place in 1955, and she said the that was the time she was born so it brings back memories. Then we talked briefly about worrying moms:) She has a daughter, I think she said she is in her 20s, but she has a kid and is married so she cannot worry anymore. Mom sent me a letter and postcard and they happened to come today! shimpaishteirundesune! (she is worrying, isn't she!) maybe just a little:) and it's okay that she does but I hope she realizes that I'm fine. I'm just fine. It was nice talking to Hitomi, though are conversation is more limited because she doesn't know English at all really, but as she was leaving she did say "see you tomorrow!" with a smile. "Hai, mata ashita!" (yes, see you tomorrow!)

Then it was 5 and I had to go out to the chickens again...rain was still coming down down down. So i put on my work clothes, rain coat, long boots and took an umbrella from the storage room. I stayed dry! When I got to the chicken coup, the rain sounded so much worse pounding on the thin roof than it really was and I was a little worried. However today was the first day I didn't break a single egg! Embarrassing, yes, but I'm finally doing something right. Thank you thank you!

Japanese TV is...crazy though. Yesterday I watched a show that was run by a large man dressed as a woman and another man and they had invited different groups of people. One was Japanese with foreign lovers, the next was families with children who were serious about being actors and actresses (I think) but I"m not, maybe jsut TV models... and the last I didn't understand but something having to do with ages 18 and 55...who knows. 

Today was a music show and two bands that I thought some people might appreciate are JAPAN X (or x Japan...) and AKB48. Japan X is a hard rock group with crazy clothes and hair...AKB48 is a group of all girls that sing and dance, apparently very famous here right now. 

I'm tired though I did nothing today! Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment