Tuesday, April 24, 2012

leaving 菊池 and coming to 宇土


It's been a while since I've written...that's not because I haven't had anything to write about. Just gotten lazy. But Dad sent me an email and he wrote he was going to check my blog so I decided I better get on it.

I've left Yamaai Mura and am now in Uto. My last week and half or so at the farm was a little tough for me...I think leaving there anytime would be leaving too soon. The weather held up for me - so the place dazzled in sunlight and beauty of spring. Muto-san took me to see a giant sakura tree in Aso area, some of the large branches held up by stilts to keep stirdy. Hiro told me before that a large branch of the tree fell during a hurricane...it used to be a lot larger. The tree when I went with Muto-san was basically all little golden green leaves rather than flowers - but still beautiful with the mountain background, yellow flowers in the foreground and blue sky. After we had seen that Muto-san said, "Well, since we have come all this way we might as well go to the crater!" So we did and the gas wasn't strong like it had been the other times I'd gone so I could see in and enjoy the view. Aso is such a gorgeous area...maybe one day I can explore there more thoroughly. Hiro went to college there and tells me about cool little shops and restaraunts - I guess you might really need those 4 years to see everything there is to see.

Before I knew it, it was Firday. My last full day. We were having a party that night that was supposed to be a Birthday party for Hiro and Ayumi and partially a last night for me. In the morning Muto-san went to pick up pigs, Katsu fed pigs, Hitomi and Hiro collected takenoko (bamboo shoots) and I cleaned out the grill room for in case it rained that night. In the afternoon it was basically party prepping. I made "tiramisu" (improvised in some areas) and cut veggies and things. There was a TON of meat for the grill. Muto-san prepped the pizza oven. Then Hitomi brought "loose sushi rice" (chirashizushi), an apple pie, these mini chocolate biscuit cakes. Ayumi's children were there, and soon Hana came with Hiroko. A previous WWOOFer and her 3 year old son were also there - tons of children - the best:) Makoto came later, and Dai-san (the owner of the cows next to us) came, after their work Ayumi and her husband came as well. Pizza, veggies, meat, home made apple pie, cakes, chirashizushi - it was all delicious. They even gave me gifts...which caught me off gaurd...but I was really touched and very grateful. They feel like family...they really do.

After it got dark I played soccer with Yuto, Fuma and Aina then afterwards the kids challenged adults to different body contortions that come naturally at a young age. So I got to see Hiro and Ayumi do hand stands and hand walking and Makoto attempt a handstand and Katsu the bridge and the adults acting as obstacles as the kids leapt over them...they will seem so grown up in 4 years! But they are such good kids, maybe they will still play a little soccer with me next time...

I packed that night and exchanged photos with Muto-san. It still hadn't really hit me that I was leaving. It never does until I'm gone.

So the next morning I got up early and washed the dishes and collected the eggs because I wanted to...as if I weren't leaving. Put my things in the car. Ate leftover pizza, fruit and yogurt with Muto-san while watching NHK like usual. Hiro washed the eggs while I dried. Then it was time to go...so Katsu came back from pig feeding and we took a group photo at the entrance. I hugged them and thanked them and Muto-san drove me down the road to my great-aunt's house because one of Mom's cousins was going to give me a ride to Uto. Muto-san said, "I think I'm going to have to come to America afterall." I really hope he does. He has been so good to me - they all have been. I'm already looking forward to going back college. I think I've made a second home there... but I don't think I can never thank them enough for what they have done for me.

Sato-san, Mom's cousin, drove me to Uto along with her daughter and grandson. We went to Hashirigata (The cucumber and tomato farm) to see everyone there and eat lunch. Chizuko-san and Obaachan had prepared quite a spread (chicken, bamboo/bacon dish, dango, salad, greens, cucumber salad, miso soup, warabi sticky rice). A little after that, Makito-Ojichan came to pick me up and took me to the house. Everyone was home! I was surprised since it seems rare in this very busy household, but it was Saturday. Everyone is happy and healthy I think. Kazu is working now at the mechanics and Ema is now a senior in high school. She is thinking about taking a year off after graduation to go to an English study school in the Philipines before going to college in the states. That is pretty adventurous! She can definitely do it - it will be fun to have her in America:)

Since Ojichan is busy with teaching, Obachan with working at the day care, Kazu at mechanic and Ema at school, I am going to help at Hashirigata again. On Sunday I didn't go, but spent most of the day relaxing and going shopping. Monday I went. I was really nervous about working in the green houses now that it is warm out because inside the house it was really hot even in the winter time. Also in Japan women cover up every inch of skin so they don't burn. So now I'm wearing long pants, long sleeve shirt, arm covers, towel around my neck and baseball cap, which is definitely the MOST I've ever worn in a 25 degreen celcius situation. Today was hotter than yesterday, but still, what I was expecting was a lot worse...but it's still April. Yesterday I clipped the new sprouts on the tomato plants in the morning then helped sort tomatoes, made boxes, then in the afternoon clipped some more. Then another of Mom's cousins that has a melon and cucumber farm came by. Yoshifumi-san had mentioned that I'd like to see the melon farm to her, but they had just harvested so when I come there wouldn't be any ripe ones so she brought melon for us to taste. And yes, it was amazing:) She had sliced it and even brought little forks for us.

Today it was clipping all day - it becomes medative - and I got better! I helped Obaachan make lunch too - and she made one my favorite sweet mashed tofu dishes - I think I can make it now tooooo!

It's nice to be here with the family in Uto. It feels so relaxed and it's nice to hear about everyone's days and how work and school went and eat dinner together and take turns washing dishes...like home.




I'm one month away from home...which basically means, before I know it, I'll be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment