Monday, January 30, 2012

~ U S J ~

Yesterday was a very interesting experience! Believe it or not I went to Universal Studios Japan! That was something I defintiely did not expect to do before I came or before a week ago. When we were going to Kyoto, Ryo, Kanako and I, they asked if I had gone. Then they mentioned next week if there was time, that they could take me. So it happened!

Of course, I've been to Cedar Point countless times. Once a long time ago I went to Disney...World I think, whichever is in Florida. I remember going, but really anything I did. I also went to a small amusement park in Osaka when I was three. I remember riding a simulator with Keiko-obachan and crying as the chair bounced around and the screen was the video of us flying through a strange underground world with gnomes and dragons...or something. I did not like it one bit at the time.

But now I am 18 and we were at Universal Studios Japan. I honestly didn't know what to expect. The first thing we did was Shrek. We watched a little introduction and then were led into the room with rows of seats and the movie began with all kinds of occurences to make it more interesting. When Shrek was riding in a carriage with donkey, the chair bounced up and down like on a bumpy road. When Donkey sneezed, a little water was sprayed on us. When there was a strong wind, cool air or hot air was blow up from the floor. It was pretty interesting and fun. So after Shrek, we went and visited Spiderman! That was great. The whole time I was completely nervous about it falling, like the Demon Drop, or something. Luckily, it didn't, just kept me on enough edge to make nervous and yet have a good time. The car spun and tipped and jumped around. Buildings came towards us. It's pretty incredible what sound and images can do. So, we rode that and then went in search of lunch at Jurassic Restaurant or something. We found it finally! Tucked in at the corner of the Jurassic end of the park. All around outside the restaurant were families gnawing on large chicken legs...or perhaps turkey. I chose to eat T-Rex bucket, including baked potato, fried rice, a rib and sausage on a bone, plus ginger ale!

We sat down to eat. "This really is American food!" They said:) It was fun, because the park was naturally American themed. With old fashioned buildings (straight up out of downtown Oberlin) and America flags flapping in the bay wind. It was strange...I didn't even notice the flags until Ryo and Kanako pointed it out to me. "They are everywhere!" "oh, yeah! you're right!"

Our American meal was pretty good, so I thought. Naturally, fast food isn't exactly quality feastin' but I enjoyed it very much! Ate the whole sausage and rib, using my gloved hand so as not to dirty my finger (they supplied us the plastic glove!!).
After that, despite the cold, Ryo insisted on riding the Jurassic Park ride which is partly in water and in the end there is a fall then splash like Snake River Falls at Cedar Point. Of course, he got wet. We felt bad for him because it must  have been very uncomfortable. But then we went to Backdraft, and there is all that fire, so it was warm. Of course, it didn't dry him out, but at least he was toasty for 5 minutes. We rode Terminator and then we went to the new Space Adventure ride. I didn't understand it, and I wasn't familiar with the animation. But, what I did understand were the signs and announcements in English that warned guests of not riding or consulting first if you become easily motion sick, afraid of heights or dark places...the whole thing shouted roller coaster. The announcement in Japanese then went around and I could here in katakana Japaense "ro--ra ko--su-ta" which yeah, means roller coaster. So now Kanako and I were freaked. We had waited in line for almost an hour, though. Ryo said to us be brave.
The building was tall, so I knew it couldn't be all too bad but I don't like roller coasters. I cry riding almost every roller coaster, at least if I don't know what it is going to be like. And I will never ride anything bigger than the Iron Dragon at CP, and I know, it isn't very big.

I desperately wanted to ask what it was like. But I didn't. And soon I was being pinned down into my seat. It was so fast! Up down around sideways spinning - was clench my teeth and tighten my mid section to keep my innards from flying out my mouth, and all that clenching makes me eyes snap shut so I hardly saw a thing. A little bit of fake stars and a room that shined with a thousand reflecting mirrors...that's about all I remember.

I'd go on it again, now that I know it isn't as terrible as my imagination imagined it to be! Always the waiting is the worst.

Then it was off to souvenier shops, snapping photos and heading out. It was really fun, an interesting mix between roller coaster and movies...

Next part of the trip was SUSHI! We all know how much I love sushi:D

Then home with a bunch of snacks. There are waaaaaay too many sweets in this house now. I feel the pressure coming on now that I'm leaving next Sunday. I gave up rice today so I could eat more goodies:p heehee!

Today I ate Oden for lunch AND dinner and Mom's granola for breakfast with bananas and apples. Culture blend.


Tomorrow, more oden!
More sweets!
More chilling!







No comments:

Post a Comment